The Department of State Services on Saturday revealed how suspected terrorists planned to unleash terror on selected six states and the Federal Capital Territory during the just concluded Eid- Kabir celebration.
It said that the sinister plan was spearheaded by Islamic State of West Africa terrorists whose aim it said, was to cause mayhem and destruction that would have disrupted the Eid-Kabir festivities held between Sept. 1 and Sept. 4.
It added that the plan was to conduct gun attacks and suicide bombings on selected targets in the Federal Capital Territory, Kano, Kaduna, Niger, Bauchi, Yobe and Borno States.
Spokesperson for the DSS, Mr. Tony Opuiyo, who made the revelation in a statement, named Husseini Mai-Tangaran, who was described as a well known senior ISWA commander, as the mastermind of the plan.
He said that the suspect had been on the Service and Nigeria Army radar since 2012, when he allegedly spearheaded the armed attacks on the office of the Assistant Inspector General of Police Zone I, on January 20, 2012, as well as other public places in Kano.
He was also said to be responsible for the deadly explosive attacks against worshippers at the Kano Central Mosque as well as an attack on a military formation in Yobe State in 2015, which claimed many of lives.
Opuiyo said that the suspect was arrested in Kano on August 31, and that further exploitation led to the arrest of one Abdulkadir Mohammed by the Service on September 2, at Kantin Kwari Market, Fagge, Kano.
Opuiyo said, “Mohammed was a fighter of the sect who left the conclave of the group in the Sambisa forest, to join ranks with Ismaila towards carrying out the attacks being planned by the group.
“Also, another accomplice in the plot, one Muhammad Ali was arrested on September 3, at Sheka area in Kumbotso area of the state.
“Prior to his arrest, Ali was the financial courier of the group in Kano. He was one of the conduits through which funds and other material logistics were channeled to the group from foreign extremist elements/sponsors.
“Like Abdulkadir Mohammed, Ali was involved in the plot to perpetrate the planned attacks in Kano and other states in the North during the just concluded Eid-Kabir celebration.”
Serial killer who murdered ‘countless’ security personnel killed in Kogi
A notorious serial killer, Lukman Issah, aka Commander, has been killed by the Kogi state police command.
Lukman, according to the police, had killed six policemen and 19 Christian worshippers before he met his waterloo in an operation led by the special anti-robbery Squad (SARS).
A statement by the command’s spokesman, William Aya, said Lukman “was a vicious bloodletting, serial killer and arsonist.
“In the past years, he held forth in the crime world, leaving many deaths, robberies and arson on his trail.
“Countless number of uniformed personnel including policemen, soldiers and even prison officers posted to the state as well as other innocent Nigerians met their untimely death as they were murdered in cold blood by Lukman and his gang.”
According to the police, Lukman, who hails from Emani Clan of Obeiba-Ihima area of Okehi local government area, “enjoyed a long reign from 2001 to Sept. 3, 2017 before it was cut short”.
Crimes committed by Lukman and his gang include the killing of two police officers on stop-and-search operation on Ogori/Magongo-Okene Road on May 15 this year.
“During the attack, the leader of the Police team ASP Adetoye Okuntade of Ogori/Magongo Division and Inspr. Ochekpo Amanyi of 37 Police Mobile Force Squadron were shot dead while the patrol vehicle used by the team was set ablaze,” Aya said.
“Two AK 47 riffles in custody of the two deceased officers were taken away with a total 60 rounds of ammunition.
“His gang also attacked men of 37 Police Mobile Force on special duty at Adogo in Ajaokuta Local Government Area and killed four of them — Insp. Maxwell Dan-Zaria , Sgt. Moses Usman, Cpl. Sunday Ogbole and Constable Bulus Linka.
“They were the brain behind the Aug. 6, 2012 bloody gun attack on worshippers at a branch of Deeper Life Bible Church, Otite near Federal College of Education, Okene, where 19 worshippers were shot dead while several others sustained varying degrees of injuries.
“Lukman was also a terror to his Ihima community as he shot dead one of the traditional rulers, the Ohireba of Ihima in February 2012.
“The Ohireba of Ihima was relaxing in the front of his house in the evening when he was shot dead. The killing was linked to the stoppage of Okiri masquerade outing during the fuel subsidy crisis.”
He said before Lukman succumbed, he resisted arrest, while his gang engaged the police in a gun battle with the operational vehicle riddled with bullets.
“The police purposely did not want him dead as his death has denied the Force of valuable information on his exploits and accomplices over the years as well as the recovered weapons in his possession.
“He was even taken to the hospital after the encounter, but unfortunately, he did not make it.”