Nigerian rapper and activist, Folarin Falana, a.k.a Falz, has stated that concerts are being organised to distract youths from remembering those who died during the EndSARS protest last year.
In a statement titled ’20:10:20 [update]’ on Friday, the singer recounted the events of the protest, stating that no one has been punished yet for ‘heinous crimes’ during the protest.
The statement, however, did not clearly state who was being referred to, as the actor used the word ‘they’ to connote whoever was being addressed.
Falz said, “They killed innocent souls that were simply asking not to be killed or brutalized. A year later, no one has been punished yet for those heinous crimes.
“A supposed Police Commissioner ‘warned’ against citizens exercising their fundamental human rights. Yes, a Police Commissioner.
“A couple of well meaning citizens decided to put together a summit to reflect on last year’s events and honour the lost souls. Event centre pulls out (Instructions from above”)
“As I type this, there is already a heavy police presence at the Lekki toll gate.
“Best thing they could come up with is organizing “concerts” to try and distract us from remembering the real heroes in all of this. The people they murdered.
“What we will never do, however, is be quiet. We will never ever be silenced. Not today, not on the 20th, not ever.”
This comes as the Lagos State Government currently organised a concert on Friday, ‘Eko on Show’ to celebrate Nigeria’s Independence.
The concert had electrifying performances from A-list singers like Teni, Davido, Tiwa Savage, etc.
The #EndSARS protests which rocked Nigeria last year took place in October.
But the state Police Public Relations Officer, CSP Adekunle Ajisebutu revealed that some youths were planning protests in commemoration of one year anniversary of #ENDSARS.
To that effect, Ajisebutu said, “To forestall breakdown of law and order, the police will use all legitimate means within its constitutional powers to suppress the protest.”
However, civil society organisations like Amnesty international and Enough is Enough, has encouraged the Federal Government to use the #EndSARS anniversary as an avenue to address youths on its plan to ensure justice.