Home News From The States Drivers protest killing of pregnant woman on Benin-Ore road 

Drivers protest killing of pregnant woman on Benin-Ore road 

2
0
Haliru Gwandu, Edo State Police Commissioner
Advertisements
Advertisements

Commercial bus drivers on Friday staged a protest on the Benin-Ore Expressway over the killing of a pregnant woman by suspected armed robbers at Okada, in Ovia North-East Local Government Area of Edo State.

The robbers also reportedly killed a male passenger of a popular bus company and injured others during the attack.

Commuters using the busy road were said to have been stranded for several hours as luxurious bus drivers barricaded the road to express their grievances.
The latest attack came five weeks after armed robbers reportedly killed a middle-aged man and dispossessed several passengers of their belongings on the same road.

Advertisements
Advertisements
Advertisements

It was gathered that Friday’s attack left a driver and his conductor with bullet wounds before they were rushed to an undisclosed hospital for treatment.

It was also learnt that the incident temporarily affected the distribution of major newspapers across the state.

Some of the national dailies said to have been affected include The Sun, Nigerian Tribune, Daily Independent, The Guardian and BusinessDay.

Many of them were said to have arrived in Benin at about 2:20 pm, when the protest had ended.

READ ALSO:  Man flogs 3-yr-old daughter to death for entering neighbour’s apartment

A driver with Complete Sports newspaper, Mr. Sulaman Tajudeen, said the protesters had insisted that they would not remove the barricades until the state government took urgent steps to prevent attacks on the road.

The spokesman for the state police command, Mr. Moses Nkombe, could not be reached for comments as several calls put across to him did not connect.

However, it was gathered that while the remains of the deceased had been deposited in a mortuary, those injured were in stable condition.

A source said that doctors at the hospital had demanded the sum of N35, 000 to commence treatment, an amount that was said to have been donated by some of the stranded passengers.

The source said, “The union (bus drivers) immediately swung into action by asking stranded passengers and transporters to contribute money to foot their hospital bills, which the passengers all sympathetically did.

“The union, having been satisfied with the response got from the commuters and other drivers, decided that the road should be cleared for vehicular movement.”

READ ALSO:  Bandits kidnap all passengers from 18-seater bus

The Punch

 

Advertisements
Previous articleFG suspends NHIS Executive Secretary
Next articleEx-NBA president, Daudu’s estranged wife dies at 54

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here