Trilogy fight: Deontay Wilder gets six-month medical ban, Fury also suspended

Advertisements

Following his trilogy fight with Tyson Fury last Saturday, Deontay Wilder has been handed a six-month medical ban till 8 April.

The ban was given to him by the Nevada State Athletic Commission after his knockout loss to Fury for the WBC title.

The ban comes as the Alabama-born American gets set for surgery in a broken hand, an injury sustained during the gruelling 11 round match.

Advertisements

Similarly, Fury has been given a 45-day medical suspension, the UK Sun reported.

Wilder was knocked out by Fury in the 11th round of their thrilling trilogy fight in Las Vegas on Saturday evening.

The Bronze Bomber put Fury down on the canvas twice in the fourth but was unable to capitalise as the Gypsy King went on to retain his WBC heavyweight title.

Wilder’s co-manager, Shelly Finkel, has revealed that the Bronze Bomber will have an operation next week after breaking a bone in his hand.

‘Deontay broke his right hand behind the third knuckle and he has to have that fixed next week,’ Finkel told The Sun.

‘He has to have surgery, the knuckle is OK, it’s the bone behind the knuckle that broke. He’s sore but he was OK, he was home yesterday.

‘He’s healing and at this point, if everything is OK, after the hand surgery he’ll probably look to enter the ring mid next year, like April or May.

Fury will likely face WBC mandatory challenger Dillian Whyte in December after defending his belt against Wilder, but his domestic rival first needs to beat Otto Wallin on October 30.

A potential fight for Wilder upon his return is a clash with fellow heavyweight knockout artist Anthony Joshua.

But ‘AJ’ is currently focused on avenging his loss to Oleksandr Usyk next spring after being outpointed by the Ukrainian last month.

Matchroom Boxing’s Eddie Hearn has labelled a potential Fury vs Whyte fight as “huge” for British boxing, but Fury’s father isn’t a fan and would rather his son wait to fight Usyk.

The WBC will order Fury’s fight with Whyte in 30 days, but Whyte is unsure if Fury will take the fight.

He told Sky Sports News : “Fury has the belt. Wilder had the chance to fight me for three years but didn’t.

Hopefully now the WBC forces my position and Fury has no choice. It’s a massive British fight, a major fight for Britain.

“Fury is an unpredictable man who might say: ‘I am done!’ “I hope we can make a fight when I get past Wallin. But Fury is a difficult guy to plan. I haven’t heard a word from him about making a fight.”

Fury returned to the UK on Tuesday to spend time with his dad and six children in Morecambe, with the Brit taking a 244-mile journey home from Heathrow Airport.

 

Open chat