By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
The NewsmatricsThe NewsmatricsThe Newsmatrics
  • Homepage
  • News
    • Latest
    • From the state
    • Science and Tech
    • News Unusual
  • Politics
  • Business
    • Aviation
    • Maritime
    • Personal Finance
  • Entertainment
  • Health
  • Lifestyle
  • Opinion
  • Sport
Search
  • Advertise
© 2024 The News Matrics. By Datech.ict. All Rights Reserved.
Reading: Super Eagles boycott training over unpaid bonuses
Sign In
Notification Show More
Aa
The NewsmatricsThe Newsmatrics
Aa
  • Homepage
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Health
  • Lifestyle
  • Opinion
  • Sport
Search
  • Homepage
  • News
    • Latest
    • From the state
    • Science and Tech
    • News Unusual
  • Politics
  • Business
    • Aviation
    • Maritime
    • Personal Finance
  • Entertainment
  • Health
  • Lifestyle
  • Opinion
  • Sport
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US
  • Advertise
© 2024 The News Matrics. By Datech.ict. All Rights Reserved.
NewsSport

Super Eagles boycott training over unpaid bonuses

Last updated: 2025/11/12 at 10:36 AM
tnm
4 Min Read
Advertisements

 

The Super Eagles refused to train in Rabat on Monday as a dispute over bonus payments with the Nigeria Football Federation threatens their preparations ahead of their 2026 FIFA World Cup African play-off semi-final against Gabon.

According to The PUNCH, the NFF President was in Morocco and discussions between the players, technical staff, and officials were held. The disagreement was not over the players’ daily allowances, which the NFF had promised to pay, but the amount of the winning bonus for the play-off ties.

Advertisements

According to sources, the players requested $15,000 for each match, totalling $30,000, but the NFF offered $10,000 per match. They insisted that until a resolution was reached, training would remain suspended, and a boycott of the Gabon tie was a possibility.

Advertisements

A source explained  that players previously received $5,000 per match and when Amaju Pinnick assumed office, he doubled the amount to $10,000. Even so, some officials argued for a reduction back to $5,000, creating controversy.

“Eventually, the amount was kept at $10,000 per player per match. Now all the players are requesting $15,000 per match. They argue that other countries, such as Cameroon, DR Congo, and Gabon, have increased their own winning bonuses, so they want Nigeria to follow suit. That is where we are currently,” the source said.

Advertisements

Reflecting the seriousness of the dispute, the players and technical staff released a statement reportedly signed by the squad, emphasising their refusal to train until the bonus issue is resolved.

“The full squad, including officials, withheld from training today in Morocco because of the unresolved issues with outstanding payments. The Super Eagles is awaiting a quick resolution to continue the preparation for Thursday’s game with Gabon. Thank you. From the players,” the statement read.

Reports from Morocco also said the team’s official distanced themselves from the standoff.

NFF President, Ibrahim Gusau and Chairman of the National Sports Commission, Shehu Dikko, were yet to respond to requests for comments.

Except Udinese goalkeeper, Maduka Okoye, 23 players were already in camp when the bonus row escalated.

The Nigeria Football Federation Communications Director Ademola Olajire and Super Eagles media officer Promise Efoghe have yet to comment on  the development

The Super Eagles held their first training session on Monday in Rabat with 14 players, as head coach Eric Chelle intensified preparations. Sevilla duo Akor Adams and Chidera Ejuke did not participate, while the arrival of African Footballer of the Year Ademola Lookman in the afternoon added more attacking options to the group.

The camp officially opened on Sunday at the Rive Hotel in Rabat, with technical staff already present to receive the early arrivals.

Nigeria is scheduled to face Gabon on Thursday at the 22,000-capacity Moulay Hassan Stadium in Rabat.

Cameroon and the Democratic Republic of Congo will contest the other semi-final at El-Barid Stadium, with the winners meeting in the final on November 16 to determine who advances to the inter-confederation play-offs for a spot at the 2026 World Cup in North America.

 

Advertisements
TAGGED: Super Eagles, World Cup qualifiers
Previous Article Wike speaks after face-off with military personnel over land dispute
Next Article Buratai says Wike’s verbal assault on soldier threatens national security
The NewsmatricsThe Newsmatrics
Follow US
© 2024 The News Matrics. By Datech.ict. All Rights Reserved. Contact: 08057511900
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Advert rates
  • Privacy Policy
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Lost your password?