By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
The NewsmatricsThe NewsmatricsThe Newsmatrics
  • Homepage
  • News
    • Latest
    • From the state
    • Science and Tech
    • News Unusual
  • Politics
  • Business
    • Aviation
    • Maritime
    • Personal Finance
  • Entertainment
  • Health
  • Lifestyle
  • Opinion
  • Sport
Search
  • Advertise
© 2024 The News Matrics. By Datech.ict. All Rights Reserved.
Reading: Tinubu orders release of minors arraigned over #EndBadGovernance protest
Sign In
Notification Show More
Aa
The NewsmatricsThe Newsmatrics
Aa
  • Homepage
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Health
  • Lifestyle
  • Opinion
  • Sport
Search
  • Homepage
  • News
    • Latest
    • From the state
    • Science and Tech
    • News Unusual
  • Politics
  • Business
    • Aviation
    • Maritime
    • Personal Finance
  • Entertainment
  • Health
  • Lifestyle
  • Opinion
  • Sport
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US
  • Advertise
© 2024 The News Matrics. By Datech.ict. All Rights Reserved.
JusticeNews

Tinubu orders release of minors arraigned over #EndBadGovernance protest

Last updated: 2024/11/04 at 5:54 PM
tnm
4 Min Read
Advertisements

TheCable
Search…
Search

The Nation
Business
Policy Radar
CableCheck
Lifestyle
Viewpoint
Sport
Climate
Home
About Us
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
Comment Policy
Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
Youtube
–Advertisement–

Advertisements

TheCable
Top Stories
Tinubu orders release of minors arraigned over #EndBadGovernance protest
by
Jude Egbas
November 4, 2024 5:46 pm

Advertisements

Minors arraigned for #EndBadGovernance protest
facebook sharing buttontwitter sharing buttonemail sharing buttonsharethis sharing buttonwhatsapp sharing button
President Bola Tinubu has directed that all minors arraigned over the #EndBadGovernance protest be released immediately.

In a briefing with State House correspondents on Monday, Mohammed Idris, minister of information, said the president issued the directive to Lateef Fagbemi, attorney-general of the federation.

Advertisements

“I recall that I had a short briefing with Mr President early this evening, and he has directed the immediate release of all the minors that have been arrested by the Nigerian police, without prejudice to whatever legal processes,” Idris said.

“There are all minors. The president has directed that all of them be released immediately.”

In August, Nigerians embarked on a 10-day protest against economic hardship and spiralling inflation. The rallies turned violent in some parts of the country.

Some protesters were seen waving Russian flags in certain northern states.

On November 1, the federal government arraigned 76 persons who allegedly took part in the protest, and charged them with treason.

Majority of those arraigned were minors who looked malnourished and ill. Four of the minors collapsed in the courtroom on the day.

The arraignment had sparked an uproar on social media amid calls for their release and respect for their dignity in line with the Child Rights Act.

The attorney-general had asked the police to hand over the case files in the wake of the uproar.

“All of you are aware that in the last couple of days, there have been some very deep inquiries and commentaries about the fate or the situation regarding the minors that you saw towards the end of last week… the ones that had been arrested by the Nigerian police and that were undergoing some legal processes,” Idris said.

“You also saw what happened in the courtroom. And as a result of that, Mr President, because of his very deep commitment to democracy and the rule of law, and without prejudice also to whatever legal processes are ongoing…

“On the other hand, on the human part of it, has directed that some announcements be made.”

The minister added that the president has also asked the humanitarian affairs ministry to rehabilitate the minors.

Law enforcement agencies involved in the arraignment would be investigated, Idris disclosed.

“Second, the president has also directed the ministry of humanitarian affairs and poverty reduction to immediately see to the welfare of those minors, and also ensure their smooth reunion with their parents or guardians, wherever they are in the country,” he said.

“Number three, the president has directed that a committee will be set up immediately to be headed by the ministry of humanitarian affairs.

“It is actually an administrative committee to look at all issues surrounding the arrest, detention, the treatment, and finally, the release of these young minors.

“Fourthly, the president has also directed that all the law enforcement agents involved in the arrest and the legal processes will be investigated, and if there are any infractions, found to have been committed by any official of government, be him a law enforcement agency, or whoever that person is, appropriate disciplinary action will be taken against him or her.”

 

Advertisements
TAGGED: Minors arraigned for #EndBadGovernance protest, President Bola Tinubu
Previous Article Encounter with Soyinka: Nobody can deny me of my Nigerianness – Igboanugo
Next Article Nigeria’s debt service-to-revenue ratio has reduced from 97% to 65% – Tinubu
Leave a comment Leave a comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

The NewsmatricsThe Newsmatrics
Follow US
© 2024 The News Matrics. By Datech.ict. All Rights Reserved. Contact: 08057511900
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Advert rates
  • Privacy Policy
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Lost your password?