By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
The NewsmatricsThe NewsmatricsThe Newsmatrics
  • Homepage
  • News
    • Latest
    • From the state
    • Science and Tech
    • News Unusual
  • Politics
  • Business
    • Aviation
    • Maritime
    • Personal Finance
  • Entertainment
  • Health
  • Lifestyle
  • Opinion
  • Sport
Search
  • Advertise
© 2024 The News Matrics. By Datech.ict. All Rights Reserved.
Reading: Afe Babalola to withdraw defamation suit against Farotimi
Sign In
Notification Show More
Aa
The NewsmatricsThe Newsmatrics
Aa
  • Homepage
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Health
  • Lifestyle
  • Opinion
  • Sport
Search
  • Homepage
  • News
    • Latest
    • From the state
    • Science and Tech
    • News Unusual
  • Politics
  • Business
    • Aviation
    • Maritime
    • Personal Finance
  • Entertainment
  • Health
  • Lifestyle
  • Opinion
  • Sport
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US
  • Advertise
© 2024 The News Matrics. By Datech.ict. All Rights Reserved.
News

Afe Babalola to withdraw defamation suit against Farotimi

Last updated: 2025/01/27 at 8:40 AM
tnm
2 Min Read
Advertisements

Legal luminary, Chief Afe Babalola, has agreed to withdraw his criminal defamation suit against human rights lawyer, Dele Farotimi following the intervention of Ooni of Ife, Oba Adeyeye Ogunwusi and other prominent Yoruba traditional rulers,

TheNewsMatrics had reported that Babalola late last year sued Farotimi before an Ekiti Magistrates’ court, claiming criminal defamation in the latter’s controversial book, ”Nigeria and its Criminal Justice system.”

Advertisements

The magistrate after hearing the case later granted Farotimi bail in the sun of N30 million after spending three week in jail.

Advertisements

However, on Sunday night, Ooni of Ife in company of Yoruba traditional rulers such as Ewi of Ado-Ekiti, Ogoga of Ikere-Ekiti, Oloye of Oye-Ekiti, Ajero of Ijero-Ekiti and Olojudo of Ido- Ekiti visited the residence of Afe Babalola to plead with him to withdraw the suit.

Speaking during the meeting, Ooni said Yoruba leaders and the traditional institutions had been following the development keenly.

Advertisements

He added that he and others resolved to intervene so that Babalola, ”can pardon his son, Farotimi.”

He went on to commend the legal luminary for building his integrity over the years and urged him not to relent following the development.

Responding, Babalola said he had received several letters, as well as calls on the issue from eminent Nigerians such as former President Olusegun Obasanjo and Bishop Hassan Kukah asking him to withdraw the suit.

The Senior Advocate of Nigeria (SAN) added that he had no choice than to succumb to the latest pleas by the visiting traditional rulers.

He further stressed that he had nothing to gain in Farotimi being jailed.

Babalola assured the traditional rulers that he would direct his lawyers to withdraw the case.

 

Advertisements
TAGGED: Afe Babalola, Dele Farotimi
Previous Article Bill Gates says divorce from ex-wife, Melinda, his biggest regret
Next Article Tuggar: Bala Mohammed using criticism of tax bills to launch his 2027 presidential bid
Leave a comment Leave a comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

The NewsmatricsThe Newsmatrics
Follow US
© 2024 The News Matrics. By Datech.ict. All Rights Reserved. Contact: 08057511900
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Advert rates
  • Privacy Policy
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Lost your password?