By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
The NewsmatricsThe NewsmatricsThe Newsmatrics
  • Homepage
  • News
    • Latest
    • From the state
    • Science and Tech
    • News Unusual
  • Politics
  • Business
    • Aviation
    • Maritime
    • Personal Finance
  • Entertainment
  • Health
  • Lifestyle
  • Opinion
  • Sport
Search
  • Advertise
© 2024 The News Matrics. By Datech.ict. All Rights Reserved.
Reading: FG to begin repatriation flights from South Africa over xenophobic attacks
Sign In
Notification Show More
Aa
The NewsmatricsThe Newsmatrics
Aa
  • Homepage
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Health
  • Lifestyle
  • Opinion
  • Sport
Search
  • Homepage
  • News
    • Latest
    • From the state
    • Science and Tech
    • News Unusual
  • Politics
  • Business
    • Aviation
    • Maritime
    • Personal Finance
  • Entertainment
  • Health
  • Lifestyle
  • Opinion
  • Sport
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US
  • Advertise
© 2024 The News Matrics. By Datech.ict. All Rights Reserved.
News

FG to begin repatriation flights from South Africa over xenophobic attacks

Last updated: 2026/05/04 at 6:31 AM
tnm
Advertisements


The federal government says it has commenced plans for the voluntary repatriation of Nigerians in South Africa following xenophobic attacks targeting foreign nationals in the former apartheid country.

In a statement on Sunday, Bianca Odumegwu-Ojukwu, minister of foreign affairs, said President Bola Tinubu has directed that evacuation flights be provided for those willing to return home.

Advertisements

Odumegwu-Ojukwu said arrangements are underway to collate details of affected citizens, noting that 130 Nigerians have so far registered with the country’s mission in South Africa.

Advertisements

She noted that the number is expected to rise as Nigerian associations in the country continue to support the registration process.

Advertisement
The minister described the attacks as a “repetitive wave”, alleging that anti-foreigner opposition groups sometimes exploit the situation to gain political support.

Advertisements

“Nigerian lives and businesses in South Africa must not continue to be put at risk,” she said.

Odumegwu-Ojukwu said Nigeria is engaging South African authorities to address the situation, adding that both countries recently signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) on early warning mechanisms to protect citizens during periods of heightened tension.

She also called on leaders of Nigerian organisations in South Africa to urgently compile lists of citizens who wish to return home but cannot afford airfare.

According to her, the Nigerian consulate is working with the high commission in Pretoria to gather sufficient data to arrange a special evacuation flight.

The minister said those willing to be repatriated are required to submit personal details, including passport photograph, full name, passport biodata page, state of origin, local government area, place of birth, current address, and contact information alongside proof of circumstances qualifying them for repatriation.

She added that registration for the exercise is free.

Recurring xenophobic attacks against foreign nationals, including Nigerians and Ghanaians, in South Africa have led to tensions in Africa.

On Saturday, the federal government summoned Bobby Moroe, the acting South African High Commissioner to Nigeria for a dressing down over the attacks.

 

Advertisements
TAGGED: South Africa, xenophobic attacks
Previous Article Dangote slams false claims on refinery financing, ‘rift’ with Elumelu
Next Article UBA debunks Tony Elumelu divorce rumour, confirms three arrests
Leave a comment Leave a comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

The NewsmatricsThe Newsmatrics
Follow US
© 2024 The News Matrics. By Datech.ict. All Rights Reserved. Contact: 08057511900
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Advert rates
  • Privacy Policy
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Lost your password?