By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
The NewsmatricsThe NewsmatricsThe Newsmatrics
  • Homepage
  • News
    • Latest
    • From the state
    • Science and Tech
    • News Unusual
  • Politics
  • Business
    • Aviation
    • Maritime
    • Personal Finance
  • Entertainment
  • Health
  • Lifestyle
  • Opinion
  • Sport
Search
  • Advertise
© 2024 The News Matrics. By Datech.ict. All Rights Reserved.
Reading: Defamation: Judiciary workers’ strike stalls Natasha’s arraignment
Sign In
Notification Show More
Aa
The NewsmatricsThe Newsmatrics
Aa
  • Homepage
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Health
  • Lifestyle
  • Opinion
  • Sport
Search
  • Homepage
  • News
    • Latest
    • From the state
    • Science and Tech
    • News Unusual
  • Politics
  • Business
    • Aviation
    • Maritime
    • Personal Finance
  • Entertainment
  • Health
  • Lifestyle
  • Opinion
  • Sport
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US
  • Advertise
© 2024 The News Matrics. By Datech.ict. All Rights Reserved.
News

Defamation: Judiciary workers’ strike stalls Natasha’s arraignment

Last updated: 2025/06/04 at 8:04 AM
tnm
3 Min Read
Advertisements

 

 

The strike embarked by the Judiciary Staff Union of Nigeria stalled the arraignment of the suspended senator representing Kogi Central Senatorial District, Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan, on Tuesday.

The strike which commenced on Monday, led to the closure of most of the courts, including all the Federal Capital Territory high courts.

Advertisements

Akpoti-Uduaghan was scheduled to be arraigned before the FCT High Court on Tuesday, June 3, over a criminal charge filed by the Federal Government over her defamatory statement against the Senate President, Godswill Akpabio and a former Kogi State Governor, Yahaya Bello.

Advertisements

According to the charge marked CR/297/25, Akpoti-Uduaghan was accused of making criminal imputations during a live broadcast and a private phone conversation, which allegedly defamed Akpabio and Bello.

The charge highlighted one of the central allegations as the statements Akpoti-Uduaghan made on Channels TV’s Politics Today programme on April 3, 2025, where she alleged that both Akpabio and Bello discussed plans to assassinate her.

Advertisements

“It was part of the meeting, the discussions that Akpabio had with Yahaya Bello that night—to eliminate me… He then emphasised that I should be killed in Kogi,” the charge quoted her as saying.

In another instance, dated March 27, 2025, the government claimed the senator told a woman named Dr Sandra Duru during a phone call that Akpabio was linked to the organ harvesting of the late Iniubong Umoren for his ailing wife.

The Federal Government charged the suspended senator under sections 391 and 392 of the Penal Code, which deal with defamation and criminal harm to reputation.

Her lawyer, West Idahosa (SAN), had previously confirmed to The PUNCH that his client was prepared to appear in court to answer the summons served on her.

He said, “Our client is a law-abiding citizen. Why wouldn’t she be there? It’s a summons we have undertaken. Only disrespectful institutions that disregard court orders would fail to appear, and she is not in that category.”

Although the strike has now been called off, a new date is awaited for her arraignment.

 

Advertisements
TAGGED: defamation charge, Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan
Previous Article NCC asks banks to deduct USSD transaction fees from users’ airtime
Next Article FG partners Gates Foundation to launch $7.5m AI hub for education, agriculture
Leave a comment Leave a comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

The NewsmatricsThe Newsmatrics
Follow US
© 2024 The News Matrics. By Datech.ict. All Rights Reserved. Contact: 08057511900
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Advert rates
  • Privacy Policy
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Lost your password?