By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
The NewsmatricsThe NewsmatricsThe Newsmatrics
  • Homepage
  • News
    • Latest
    • From the state
    • Science and Tech
    • News Unusual
  • Politics
  • Business
    • Aviation
    • Maritime
    • Personal Finance
  • Entertainment
  • Health
  • Lifestyle
  • Opinion
  • Sport
Search
  • Advertise
© 2024 The News Matrics. By Datech.ict. All Rights Reserved.
Reading: Oshiomhole calls for action against South African businesses over xenophobic attacks
Sign In
Notification Show More
Aa
The NewsmatricsThe Newsmatrics
Aa
  • Homepage
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Health
  • Lifestyle
  • Opinion
  • Sport
Search
  • Homepage
  • News
    • Latest
    • From the state
    • Science and Tech
    • News Unusual
  • Politics
  • Business
    • Aviation
    • Maritime
    • Personal Finance
  • Entertainment
  • Health
  • Lifestyle
  • Opinion
  • Sport
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US
  • Advertise
© 2024 The News Matrics. By Datech.ict. All Rights Reserved.
News

Oshiomhole calls for action against South African businesses over xenophobic attacks

Last updated: 2026/05/06 at 6:32 AM
tnm
Advertisements


Adams Oshiomhole, senator representing Edo north, has asked the federal government to take retaliatory actions against South African businesses operating in Nigeria over recent attacks on Nigerians in the foreign country.

Oshiomhole spoke on Tuesday during plenary while contributing to a motion sponsored by Osita Izunaso, senator representing Imo west, and read on the floor by Aniekan Bassey, Akwa Ibom north-east lawmaker.

Advertisements

The motion, raised under sections 41 and 42 of the senate rules, was titled “A call for urgent national diplomatic and humanitarian action to defend the dignity, safety and honour of Nigerian citizens.”

Advertisements

At least two Nigerians have been killed since anti-foreigner tensions started to heighten in South Africa last month.

Oshiomhole said the government should consider revoking the operating licences of South African-owned companies in Nigeria.

Advertisements

The former Edo state governor named MTN and MultiChoice, the operator of DStv, as examples.

He said Nigeria must respond firmly to what he described as persistent hostility against its citizens.

“I don’t want this senate to be shedding tears to sympathise with those who have died. We didn’t come here to shed tears,” he said.

“I am not going to shed tears. If you hit me, I hit you. I think it is appropriate in diplomacy. It is an economic struggle.”

He said Nigerians could take advantage of opportunities created by South African companies operating in the country.

He said some South Africans accuse Nigerians of taking their jobs, adding that Nigerians should return home and take over employment opportunities in firms like MTN and MultiChoice.

“When we hit back, the President of South Africa will not only talk but will also go on his knees to recognise that Nigerians cannot be intimidate and we will not condone any one life being lost,” he said.

“If a crime has been committed under the South African law they have the right to bring any such person to justice, but to kill our people as if we are helpless, we will not allow that.”

The senate, however, did not adopt Oshiomhole’s position in its resolutions on the motion.

 

 

Advertisements
Previous Article Tinubu engages global investors in Paris
Next Article Trump adviser Boulos threatens legal action over Lagos-Calabar road contract allegations
Leave a comment Leave a comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

The NewsmatricsThe Newsmatrics
Follow US
© 2024 The News Matrics. By Datech.ict. All Rights Reserved. Contact: 08057511900
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Advert rates
  • Privacy Policy
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Lost your password?