By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
The NewsmatricsThe NewsmatricsThe Newsmatrics
  • Homepage
  • News
    • Latest
    • From the state
    • Science and Tech
    • News Unusual
  • Politics
  • Business
    • Aviation
    • Maritime
    • Personal Finance
  • Entertainment
  • Health
  • Lifestyle
  • Opinion
  • Sport
Search
  • Advertise
© 2024 The News Matrics. By Datech.ict. All Rights Reserved.
Reading: Military denies reports of civilian deaths after airstrikes in Niger state
Sign In
Notification Show More
Aa
The NewsmatricsThe Newsmatrics
Aa
  • Homepage
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Health
  • Lifestyle
  • Opinion
  • Sport
Search
  • Homepage
  • News
    • Latest
    • From the state
    • Science and Tech
    • News Unusual
  • Politics
  • Business
    • Aviation
    • Maritime
    • Personal Finance
  • Entertainment
  • Health
  • Lifestyle
  • Opinion
  • Sport
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US
  • Advertise
© 2024 The News Matrics. By Datech.ict. All Rights Reserved.
News

Military denies reports of civilian deaths after airstrikes in Niger state

Last updated: 2026/05/11 at 12:25 PM
tnm
Advertisements

The Defence Headquarters on Monday denied reports of civilian deaths from airstrikes on suspected bandits in ​the northern Niger state, saying the strikes were intelligence-led ‌and hit only militant targets.

Defence spokesperson Major-General Michael Onoja said drone strikes carried out overnight between May 9 and 10 targeted the villages ​of Katerma, Bokko, Kusasu and Kuduru in the Shiroro ​district after intelligence indicated that armed gangs bandits were gathering to plan attacks.

Advertisements

The denial came ​in response to reports in the media alleging civilian casualties, ​underscoring longstanding concerns about the impact on local communities of airstrikes in Nigeria’s conflict zones.

Advertisements

Nigerian security forces are battling banditry in the northwest and ​a 17-year Islamist insurgency in the northeast.

Last month, around 200 ​people were killed after military jets struck a village market while pursuing ‌Islamist ⁠militants in the northeast, local residents told Reuters.

Advertisements

In the latest airstrikes, Onoja said at least 70 suspected bandits were killed in Kusasu alone. Post-strike intelligence showed surviving fighters regrouping, with more ​than 200 ​motorcycles moving toward ⁠nearby Zango village, he added.
“The strikes were precisely targeted at identified terrorist enclaves and achieved ​their intended military objectives,” Onoja said, adding that ​residents ⁠had relocated to another village beforehand, limiting the likelihood of civilian presence.

He didn’t say whether civilians were given warning of strikes.
The ⁠military ​has ordered field units to investigate any ​claims of civilian harm, Onoja said.

Advertisements
TAGGED: Major-General Michael Onoja
Previous Article Dangote holds high-level meeting with CEO of Norway Sovereign Wealth Fund
Next Article Crude oil jumps over $4 after Trump dismisses Iran peace proposal
Leave a comment Leave a comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

The NewsmatricsThe Newsmatrics
Follow US
© 2024 The News Matrics. By Datech.ict. All Rights Reserved. Contact: 08057511900
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Advert rates
  • Privacy Policy
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Lost your password?