
The Oyo state police command has refuted claims of a bandit attack in Ogbomoso and its environs on Tuesday.
Panic spread across parts of Ogbomoso and neighbouring communities, including Ajaawa Town, following rumours alleging that armed bandits had attacked the area and invaded the vicinity of Are-Ago High School in Ogbomoso.

In one of the viral videos circulating on X, many students and traders were seen fleeing their schools and business areas over fears of a fresh attack.
In a statement on its X page, the police said the command immediately deployed surveillance and patrol teams to the scene to ascertain the true situation and prevent any breakdown of law and order.
“Upon arrival at the location, operatives met with the school principal, Mrs. Akanbi Ruth, who explained that the alarm originated from information allegedly circulated among some students who claimed that certain unfamiliar individuals had been sighted behind the school fence,” the statement reads.
“This naturally raised suspicion among some teachers and students, prompting immediate concern within the school environment.”
The police said preliminary investigations later showed that the individuals involved were an officer of the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC) attached to the Kwara State Command, alongside two civilians found in a Toyota Venza SUV.
The command said the individuals explained during questioning that they had only visited the lady among them in celebration of her birthday, while relevant NSCDC authorities in Ogbomoso were contacted to verify the identity and status of the officer involved.
According to the police, an altercation occurred between some teachers and the visitors, a situation which inadvertently heightened suspicion within the school premises.
“Consequently, some students began spreading unverified claims to neighbouring schools and surrounding communities, thereby escalating panic and tension across parts of Ogbomoso and Ajaawa Town before the actual facts of the incident were established,” the police said.
In response, the command said patrols and visibility policing around the affected communities were immediately intensified, while critical stakeholders were engaged to reassure residents and restore public confidence.
The command added that normal academic, commercial, and social activities have since resumed in the area.
The command warned against the deliberate spread of fake news, misinformation, and unverified security reports capable of causing unnecessary panic, heightening tension, and undermining public peace.
“The dissemination of false information, particularly on security-related matters, has the potential to create avoidable chaos, disrupt socio-economic activities, and negatively affect the collective security efforts being sustained across the state,” the statement added.
The police urged members of the public, especially youths and social media users, to refrain from forwarding or amplifying unconfirmed reports without proper verification from appropriate security agencies.
“Individuals found deliberately peddling fake news or spreading false information intended to incite fear or public disorder will be investigated and prosecuted in accordance with the law,” the statement added.
The development follows the growing public concerns over rising security threats and attacks in Ogbomoso and its neighbouring towns.
On Friday, gunmen riding motorcycles invaded communities within the Ahoro-Esiele/Yawota axis of Oriire, Ogbomoso, and abducted students and staff members of Community High School, Ahoro-Esiele, L.A. Primary School, Esiele, and Yawota Baptist Nursery and Primary School.
The attack left an assistant headmaster, identified as Joel Adesiyan, and a commercial motorcyclist dead, sparking outrage across the country.



