By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
The NewsmatricsThe NewsmatricsThe Newsmatrics
  • Homepage
  • News
    • Latest
    • From the state
    • Science and Tech
    • News Unusual
  • Politics
  • Business
    • Aviation
    • Maritime
    • Personal Finance
  • Entertainment
  • Health
  • Lifestyle
  • Opinion
  • Sport
Search
  • Advertise
© 2024 The News Matrics. By Datech.ict. All Rights Reserved.
Reading: Super Falcons coach apologises to Nigerians over 2027 World Cup miss
Sign In
Notification Show More
Aa
The NewsmatricsThe Newsmatrics
Aa
  • Homepage
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Health
  • Lifestyle
  • Opinion
  • Sport
Search
  • Homepage
  • News
    • Latest
    • From the state
    • Science and Tech
    • News Unusual
  • Politics
  • Business
    • Aviation
    • Maritime
    • Personal Finance
  • Entertainment
  • Health
  • Lifestyle
  • Opinion
  • Sport
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US
  • Advertise
© 2024 The News Matrics. By Datech.ict. All Rights Reserved.
NewsSport

Super Falcons coach apologises to Nigerians over 2027 World Cup miss

Last updated: 2026/08/14 at 3:47 PM
tnm
Advertisements

Super Falcons coach Justine Madugu has apologised to Nigerians following the team’s failure to qualify for the 2027 FIFA Women’s World Cup, admitting that defensive errors and poor finishing contributed to their 2-1 defeat to South Africa.

Advertisements

Madugu spoke in a post-match interview in a video posted by News Central TV on Friday, after the Falcons suffered defeat in the Confederation of African Football play-off at the 2026 Women’s Africa Cup of Nations in Morocco on Thursday.

The result ended Nigeria’s hopes of reaching the World Cup after the team had already missed an automatic qualification ticket following their 1-0 quarter-final defeat to Cameroon.

Advertisements

Madugu said: “I have to apologise to Nigerians over our inability to make it to the World Cup.

“We are very sorry.Nigerian business news

Advertisements

“It was not our intention.

“We came, did the best that we could, but our best was not good enough.

“And we’re very sorry for that, and we take full responsibility for everything that happened.

“There can always be a next time. I’m sorry.”

South Africa punished Nigeria’s defensive lapses as Thembi Kgatlana opened the scoring in the 56th minute before Refiloe Jane doubled Banyana Banyana’s advantage in the 77th minute.

Christy Ucheibe reduced the deficit from the penalty spot in added time after a VAR review awarded Nigeria a penalty and resulted in Jane’s dismissal, but the Falcons could not find an equaliser.

Madugu said Nigeria created enough opportunities to win the game but failed to make them count.

He said: “We had chances. Still, the conversion was another problem.

“And, uh, we made some little errors at the back.

“They capitalized on that, and, uh, they got the goals that they also got.”

The coach attributed the defensive problems to individual errors and poor decision-making while acknowledging the team’s struggles in front of goal.

He said: “It is something that we really regret and feel very sorry about because it was more of individual errors in terms of decision-making that accounted for what actually happened.

“Of course, we will say we have a goal-scoring problem because we have not been clinical in front of goal.

“We have not been clinical.

“We create several chances, but we are very wasteful with the opportunities that always come our way.

“If we were very clinical in front of goal — I mean, we would have been scoring a lot of goals.”

Madugu said the Falcons had enough opportunities in the first half to put the match beyond South Africa but failed to convert them.

He added: “So, we have to blame ourselves for it.

“We have to blame ourselves because we did not take the chances that keep coming our way.

“This was a game we would have finished since first half based on the opportunities that we had, but we couldn’t utilize them.”

The coach also pointed to South Africa’s efficiency in front of goal as a major difference between the two sides.

“In the second half, we still got chances.

“How many chances did South Africa get? But because they were more clinical, they converted the chances that came their way.

“Today, they are the ones that won the match,” he said.

The defeat means Nigeria will miss the Women’s World Cup for the first time since the tournament began in 1991.

South Africa, meanwhile, will advance to the intercontinental play-off tournament with another opportunity to qualify for the 2027 FIFA Women’s World Cup.

 

Advertisements
Previous Article Newly-wedded Ronaldo returns to Al Nassr training with golden new look
Next Article How my husband died— Kemi Adeosun recounts last moments
Leave a comment Leave a comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

The NewsmatricsThe Newsmatrics
Follow US
© 2024 The News Matrics. By Datech.ict. All Rights Reserved. Contact: 08057511900
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Advert rates
  • Privacy Policy
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Lost your password?