By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
The NewsmatricsThe NewsmatricsThe Newsmatrics
  • Homepage
  • News
    • Latest
    • From the state
    • Science and Tech
    • News Unusual
  • Politics
  • Business
    • Aviation
    • Maritime
    • Personal Finance
  • Entertainment
  • Health
  • Lifestyle
  • Opinion
  • Sport
Search
  • Advertise
© 2024 The News Matrics. By Datech.ict. All Rights Reserved.
Reading: El-Rufai files N10bn lawsuit against ICPC for denial of family access
Sign In
Notification Show More
Aa
The NewsmatricsThe Newsmatrics
Aa
  • Homepage
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Health
  • Lifestyle
  • Opinion
  • Sport
Search
  • Homepage
  • News
    • Latest
    • From the state
    • Science and Tech
    • News Unusual
  • Politics
  • Business
    • Aviation
    • Maritime
    • Personal Finance
  • Entertainment
  • Health
  • Lifestyle
  • Opinion
  • Sport
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US
  • Advertise
© 2024 The News Matrics. By Datech.ict. All Rights Reserved.
News

El-Rufai files N10bn lawsuit against ICPC for denial of family access

Last updated: 2026/08/17 at 7:45 AM
tnm
Advertisements

Former governor of Kaduna State, Nasir el-Rufai has filed a N10 billion suit against the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC) for allegedly denying his wife and son access to him in custody.

Advertisements

El-Rufai filed the suit through his lawyer, Ubong Akpan, at the federal high court in Abuja.

The former Kaduna governor also joined Musa Aliyu, the ICPC chairman, and Lateef Fagbemi, the attorney-general of the federation (AGF), as second and third defendants.

Advertisements

The suit, marked FHC/ABJ/CS/1852/2026, was filed on August 13 and sighted by NAN in Abuja on Sunday.

El-Rufai is seeking nine reliefs, including a declaration that his fundamental rights under part IV of the 1999 constitution remain in force despite his detention.

Advertisements

He alleged that the ICPC repeatedly prevented his wife, Aichatou Asabe, and son, Abba el-Rufai, from visiting him and providing food, medication and other necessities.

The former governor said the alleged denial violated his rights to dignity and private and family life as guaranteed under sections 34 and 37 of the constitution and articles 5 and 18 of the African Charter on Human and Peoples’ Rights.

El-Rufai also asked the court to declare that the alleged physical restraint, intimidation and treatment of Asabe and Abba by ICPC officers on July 7 amounted to a violation of his fundamental rights.

He alleged that the commission’s continued denial of access to his family was unconstitutional, illegal, null and void.

The former governor is seeking an order directing the respondents to grant him “unhindered and reasonable access” to his family members and counsel throughout his detention, in line with an earlier order of the federal high court.

El-Rufai alleged that despite the court order permitting access to his family and lawyers, the ICPC prevented his wife and son from seeing him without justification.

“This action has subjected the applicant to humiliation, emotional trauma, anxiety and psychological distress,” he alleged.

He added that the respondents’ conduct amounted to an unjustifiable interference with his dignity and family life.

In an affidavit filed in support of the suit, Mohammed Shaba, el-Rufai’s principal secretary, said the former governor is being detained at the ICPC office in Abuja.

Shaba said the facts contained in the affidavit were supplied to him by Asabe on July 12.

He said Asabe had been responsible for providing her husband with food, clothing, medication and other personal necessities since his detention.

According to him, El-Rufai is the first defendant in charge number FHC/KD/73C/2025, pending before the federal high court in Kaduna, where the Federal Republic of Nigeria is the complainant.

Shaba said R. M. Aikawa, presiding judge of the Kaduna division of the federal high court, on April 1, ordered the ICPC to allow the defendants access to their counsel and personal physicians whenever required.

“Clearly, this order reflects the settled principle of law that detainees are not to be held incommunicado and that the ICPC is subject to judicial oversight regarding the conditions of detention,” he said.

He further argued that El-Rufai retains his fundamental rights under the constitution and the Administration of Criminal Justice Act (ACJA), 2015, including humane treatment and reasonable access to family members.

Shaba said Asabe had regularly visited her husband and delivered meals and other items to him before July 7 without obstruction, in accordance with the ICPC’s established visiting procedures.

 

Advertisements
TAGGED: ICPC, Nasir El-Rufai
Previous Article EFCC facilitates $60m Nestoil debt recovery as lenders await further payments
Next Article BOI’s N250bn maiden bond oversubscribed on strong investor demand
Leave a comment Leave a comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

The NewsmatricsThe Newsmatrics
Follow US
© 2024 The News Matrics. By Datech.ict. All Rights Reserved. Contact: 08057511900
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Advert rates
  • Privacy Policy
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Lost your password?