‘Repentant Boko Haram terrorists’ burn down NDLEA, NCS checkpoints in Borno

Spread the love


Suspected repentant Boko Haram terrorists have reportedly set ablaze the checkpoints of the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA) and the Nigeria Customs Service (NCS) in Borno.

Zagazola Makama, a counter-insurgency publication focused on the Lake Chad region, said the incident occurred on Wednesday.

The publication said the terrorists dressed in military uniforms invaded the Kasuwan Fara in Maiduguri and chased away the personnel of the agencies.


The publication said the terrorists burnt down all structures at the checkpoint, adding that the insurgents moved to the Kasuwan Fara divisional police office and attempted to release eight of their members in custody.

Makama said those in custody were arrested on April 24 during a raid carried out by the police on the notorious spot at the criminals-ridden Kasuwan Fara.

“Due to the rise and persistence of criminal activities and sinister operations by drug peddlers comprising dismissed military personnel, repentant insurgents and other hoodlums, who assemble there to conduct nefarious activities, the area had since been earmarked for closure by Borno state government,” Makama said.

“The April 24 raid, where the eight suspected repentant insurgents were arrested and 426 bottles of spirits such as dry gin confiscated, was conducted to sanitize the area, pending the final closure.

“The arrested persons were detained at the Kasuwan Fara police division since the day of their arrest.

“Subsequently, at about 7:40 am of Thursday, May 2, a dozen of the suspected repentant insurgents in military uniform, stormed the Kasuwan Fara police station in an attempt to rescue their arrested fellows.”

Makama said the police operatives engaged the insurgents in a gun battle, adding that the terrorists were overwhelmed and fled the location.

The publication said Kenneth Daso, Borno police spokesperson, confirmed the incident.

The police spokesperson said an investigation into the incident is ongoing, adding that the arrested eight suspects have been transferred to the anti-crack squad divisional headquarters for further action.